- Developing the forward modeling ingredients to the inverse problem.
- Defining optimal strategies for geophysical model description with complex geometries (e.g., GOCAD).
- Computational grid generation for efficient wavefield calculations.
- Adapting novel numerical approaches to the seismic wave propagation problem.
- Defining optimal solutions (best practices) for specific problems (e.g., in terms of numerical approach, problem scale, computational grid type).
- Development of appropriate rheologies for structural and source inverse problems (e.g., anisotropy, poroelasticity, nonlinear strains).
Description of work
(leader in bold)
- T2.1 Identification of forward solutions to be engineered towards efficient, multi-platform use on HPC systems (LMU, all partners)
- T2.2 Standardization of input and output formats for Earth models and data (LMU, all partners)
- T2.3 Benchmarks for forward modelling (CUB, LMU, SCR, OGS)
- T2.4 Generation of synthetic test data sets for inverse problems on all scales (LMU, IPG, SCR, CUB)
- T2.5 Development, testing, and application of material property averaging schemes for near-surface and internal 3-D structures (IPG, LMU, CUB, UP)